Travelcart

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Current Size: 100%

Le Valdonnez

To the South of Mende - Le Valdonnez

The plain of Valdonnez, bordered to the north and west by the Causse de Mende and the Causses of Changefège and Sauveterre, overlooked to the east and south by Mont-Lozère, is composed mainly of fertile farmland.

The entire valley is a patchwork of water meadows and bears the traces of ancient human occupation. Megaliths and tumuli attest to human presence very early in history.
The Mausoleum of Lanuejols confirms the settlement of a population in this fertile part of the Gevaudan / Lozere in Gallo-Roman times.

 

Le Truc de Balduc


ValdonnezThis unique "Truc" (a small Causse) dominates and divides the valley of Valdonnez and gives the plain, surrounded by rocky massifs, its particular feature.
A guidebook of walks in the Valdonnez published by the Cevennes National Park includes a series of fact sheets on short, easy trails.
It is on sale at the Tourist Office.

 

Lanuéjols

A village marked by its history: its name is of Celtic origin, meaning "the clearing sanctuary". There are vestiges of the Gallo-Roman era and Middle Ages.

mausolee-Lanuejols

eglise-Lanuejols

cour-interieure-chateau-Boy

The Gallo-romain mausoleum of Lanuéjols (classified as a historical monument since 1840)

In the Roman world mausoleums were great tombs built by the wealthy classes.
The one in Lanuéjols was built by Julius Bassianus, who owned a large estate nearby, as a tribute to two of his deceased son. Historical monument since 1840, it was built between the late third and early fourth centuries. The site has been the subject of numerous excavations which have uncovered a second building.

Free visit.

The Gallo-Roman mausoleums at Lanuéjols and Saint Remy de Provence are the only two known examples in France..

Roman church of Saint-Pierre in Lanuèjols.

Built in the twelfth century and enlarged in the fourteenth century, this church is constructed of “tuf” (a local, friable limestone). Before the revolution it sported an octagonal tower. It has been a historical monument since 1929.

Free visit.

 

Chateau du Boy.

Residence of the lords of Tournel from the fourteenth century, the chateau was partly destroyed during the early religious wars and rebuilt in the renaissance. At present, it is a specialist treatment center. You can also admire an ancient menhir look at the castle entrance.

Visits organized occasionally during the year, inquire with the Pays d'Art et d'histoire Mende & Lot en Gévaudan, Tel: +33 (0)4 66 31 27 39 or +33(0)6 42 57 93 09.

 

Website: http://www.pah-mende-et-lot.fr

Balsièges

The Village of Balsièges, at the confluence of the rivers Lot and Bramont, marks the entrance to the Northwest plain of Valdonnez plain.
The "Lion of Balsièges" rock overlooking the village is well known since antiquity for its ressemblance to a lion.

 

Lion-Balsièges

Chapelle-Saint-Chaousou

menhir-causse-changefege

Chapel and hermitage of Saint-Chaoussou:

The first occupation of this cave dates back to 2500 BC. It was later converted into a chapel.
A hermitage, now in ruins, was added to the building later. There is a marked trail to the site. Free visits (be careful - the trail is steep and slippery).

The Dolmens of Changefège:

Lozère is the second site in France for megaliths. It would still be tso if only the stones on the Causse de Changefège were counted.
Even more impressive by number are the dolmens and menhirs of the Causse de Sauveterre and the alignment of the menhirs of Bondons. Marked trail, free visit.

 

Saint-Étienne du Valdonnez

The village of Saint-Etienne of Valdonnez is set upon the Mont-Lozère.
Some towns in the community have characteristics closer to the hamlets of Mont Lozère (granite architecture) rather than those of Valdonnez.

 

Don't miss:

Fage "tower of torment" (bell tower).

Barrandon lake.

The Gorges du Bramont.

(bell tower, communal oven, windmill), les Laubies, le Bassy, la Borie.
clocher-tourmente-La-Fage

Saint-Bauzile

 The castle ruins of Montialoux:
built in the twelfth century, this fortress guarded the entrance of Valdonnez, surveyed Montmirat and communicated with other castles belonging to the lords of Tournel.
chateau-Montialoux
Saint-Bauzile Roman church (14th century).

The village of Falisson on the Causse de Sauveterre (dating from Gallic times with Lavogne andcaussenard architecture).

Office de Tourisme Intercommunal Mende, Coeur de Lozère

Mende on smartphone
  • Français
  • English
  • Español